Is Tape Storage really dead? – How the Oracle SL150 device removes the myth
For the last few years many storage vendors and analysts have been stating that “Tape is Dead” as a storage medium and that disk technologies are the answer to all of our back up, disaster recovery and compliance requirements.
Businesses are now being asked to keep data for longer periods of time, up to 50 years in some industries. To store this amount of data on disk is a major headache for many storage managers and they are now turning to tape as part of their Information Life Cycle Management policy. Oracle’s StorageTek SL150 modular tape library is the first scalable tape library designed for small and midsized companies that are experiencing high growth.
Tape offers many advantages when used as part of a complete storage solution.
- Tape is able to store large amounts of data in a very small space. If you are taking a backup of a large amount of data, tape is still your best option as the equivalent on a disk solution will require a large amount of data centre space.
- Tape is the cheapest tier of storage in the data centre. Whilst disks are spinning and consuming power and cooling in the data centre even when not being used. Tapes only use resources when they are put into use. For the rest of the time they sit there without becoming an expensive commodity.
- Tapes are mobile, they can be utilised, removed and moved to another site for use in several years’ time. This has 2 major benefits; firstly it aids with an organisations back up and data recovery strategy and secondly, it aids compliance.
Ideal for backup and archival applications, the StorageTek SL150 modular tape library is easy to install and manage. If any of the following apply, let Inoapps talk to you about TAPE as an alternative storage option:
- What are the biggest challenges that you’re facing with your storage infrastructure?
- Are you experiencing high rates of data growth that must be managed with tight budgets and existing staffing levels?
- Do you find it difficult to cost-effectively manage or scale your storage environment?
- As you grow, are you finding scalability to be a concern?
- Is the complexity of your data-backup-and-archive operations increasing?
- Do you have compliance and regulatory requirements?
More information on Tape Storage
Please contact us below
+44 (0)870 112 2000
Inoapps Head Office
2 Fountainhall Road
+44 (0)870 112 2000
Oracle Corporation UK Ltd
+44 (0)870 112 200
5177 Richmond Avenue, Suite 1260
Suite 2B-13-3, Level 13, Block 2B,
Jalan Stesen Sentral 5,
50470 Kuala Lumpur.
+603 2714 5707